Using jade, onyx, coral, and a variety of other precious and semi-precious gems, carved gemstone vintage Art Deco jewelry is iconic and truly fabulous.
Carved gemstones are central to some of the most exquisite pieces of original Art Deco jewelry. If you are searching for exactly the right piece of antique or vintage jewelry, you won’t go wrong with one of these beautiful and rare items.
- Gemstone carving is an ancient tradition and a highly skilled craft.
- During the Art Deco period, spanning from 1920-1939, carved gemstones became very popular.
- They were produced with a variety of motifs and took influence from many sources.
- Carved gemstones are also known as ‘engraved gemstones.’
- They can either be cameo, with the design projecting out, or intaglios, with the design projecting inwards.
Here are some beautiful examples of Art Deco carved gemstone jewelry below.